Friday, June 26, 2009

Someone Moved Hawaii...Then set it on Fire..


The Expo right outside my hotel room at BSL 70.3

You know it's hot when...

- you run for 20 minutes outside at 6pm and the back of your throat starts to burn instantaneously while you're heart rate tops out at max aerobic pace

- you get in your car and feel like you might get right back out because it's got to be hot enough to make a full breakfast of eggs, bacon and hash browns right there on your dashboard

- you sweat through your shorts, your shirt, you under ware and that's just while the air conditioning is kicking in during the first five minutes of your car ride

- you realize air conditioning isn't a luxury, it's a necessity

- you now know why you don't see hardly anyone outside walking around between the hours of 10am and 5pm

It's sweltering, hot as blazes, burn your eyebrows off, 100 degrees hot. Ok.. so enough about the hotness. I guess I just thought because I'd been to St. Croix and Hawaii in the same year it would be same old same old. Yep, not the case.

I'm not sure why, but any moment out there just hits you in the face and you wonder how you will survive it for 5 hours on a little Sunday jaunt while swimming, biking and running seventy miles.

Let's say this.. if it's hot for me, it is hot for everyone though. As my new fun friend Gary (who just happened to mention he's done IM Hawaii 6 times, Brazil twice, IM Canada 12 or so times and a decent helping of many other races throughout his last 30 years of racing (yes, he's going after the Hawaii Slot in the 70-74 category and by gosh I think he has a really good shot!) - this kind of heat separates the wheat from the chaff. Yes Gary it does. I am going to drink until I'm peeing every 20 minutes tomorrow. I'm going execute my nutrition plan and I am NOT going to crawl over the finish line (if I can help it).

These are the things I can do.

As for the sickness, the 11 hours I got last night really seem to be helping immensely. I've been coughing some before bed but I'm pretty sure that Robitussin nighttime is going to take care of that. My nose is mostly clear and my sore throat has FINALLY subsided!! I'm very thankful and maybe I just might be healthy enough by the time Sunday comes.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers! I feel them and appreciate it.

Now let's go burn off some eyebrows people..it's racing in Texas time!!

No comments: