Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sun, Sand & Road Rash

Just to prove I started the bike... Thanks Ken for the picture!!
My waitor at the restaurant acrossed the street!
Today I sat on the beach for about four hours and watched families build sandcastles, older couples read books and felt the warm sand between my toes. I called doctors and made appointments for when I return, and returned more phone calls about the accident.


I wouldn't say I'm nearly out of the woods, mentally or physically, but I certainly think today was a step in right direction. For the first time in well, as long as I can remember, I didn't have a schedule, I didn't know what time it was, and I remembered what it was like to be just like everyone else. No workouts, no thought to when I would get to pool or get my run in, just me and whatever I felt like doing. I smiled while I watched children enjoy running through the waves and I was thankful just to be alive and able to take a few days to myself before entering the rat race once again.


The bright and beautiful sunshine heating up my skin while I fell asleep in my chair (which I rented for 7 dollars since I can't lay down) was welcomed like an early spring. After looking forward to this for months, I decided two more days wasn't going to make the difference between my collarbone healing incorrectly or not. Many people thought I shouldn't stay, but that's one of the benefits of being 30 and having the best manager in the world at the Day's Inn Comp you a few nights - Thanks Ray!! You get to make your own decisions...so that was that.

I can't even think about next season...the thought of it seems impossible right now so I'm going to let it go. I had big plans for the off-season that included hot yoga, mountain biking and climbing...hummm..there goes that!! O well, it is what it is...
Some road rash pictures...Really it's not too bad. I've heard mederma and vitamin E to prevent scarring. Let me know if you have any other good ideas!





Reading some of the comments over the last few days has reminded me why I have this blog. I know sometimes people like to read and not leave comments and that is 100% fine. In times like this though, even if you are not so much a comment person people who I didn't even know read have left amazing comments that really touched me..thank you!! I'm also so lucky to have friends who cheered for me during the race, took my bike with them when I didn't have a way to get it home (Beth & Oscar), and have been calling, texting and really concerned for me which I sincerely appreciate. I'm a lucky girl for that and even though I don't understand why this happened, I'm a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. Someone once told me I was the most resilient person that they've ever known and when I really start getting down I try to remember that comment. I don't know that they're right, but it seems to help me anyway.





So tomorrow it's home and then to the doctor on Thursday. It's taken way to long to write this blog and I'm starting to hurt so its time to stop...!!

No comments: