Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Heart San Diego

Last week determined one thing, and one thing only, I love San Diego with a passion. I'm not sure if it's the weather, or the fact that so many people love the same things that I love, or maybe a combination of both - but the fact remains I always enjoy my time immensly while I'm there.

It was a work trip, so lots of work was done (and then some). My trip started out a bit rough with a delayed flight to DC because of fog. I was set to fly out of Pitt at 6:00am, but at 5:50 they let us know about the delay and then we all had to make a mad dash for the ticket counter to get rescheduled. Let me just say, even in a sling, I can still drop a mean 40 yard sprint if something calls for it. I think many of the other people were surprised to see me throw the computer in the bag and make a dash for it (and end up there in front). Obviously someone (not naming any names) is missing competition just a wee tad bit!
In DC, where I would be waiting for four hours for my next flight to San Diego after missing my first plane, I had the pleasure of sitting next to this guy. He was one of the only benches with an outlet nearby so I spent about 3 hours listening to him snore while I typed away!

When I arrived I immediately stripped off my coat and took a huge breath of fresh air! It was wonderful!
The Hotel De Coronado has plenty of history and it was nice to stay somewhere that wasn't a shiny high rise, but more of a immensely manicured, low rise with tons of character. It was amazing to think of who had probably stayed here in the last 100 years since it was built. Pretty neat.
If you were wondering how they decorate in San Diego with no snow - question answered. Pretty wreaths & low and behold.. an outdoor ice skating rink.

I thought for about 2 seconds about strapping on some skates and then decided Dr. Bradley would probably have me by the throat when I got home. So I watched my workmates have a blast!
Someone once told me I wear a ton of black and white. Just to prove them wrong I looked in my closet to assess the situation. Hummm...well, I just plain don't know what they are talking about!
Even my pj's are black and white! What can I say, I find it very stylish (and easy to match!)
The lobby had a huge Christmas Tree with all of the trimmings so I jumped in to get a picture. I just love this time of year.
On Thursday, once I was finally done working for the week, my Father and I spent some time out on the back deck at sunset. The weather was about 60 degrees, the sun cast a golden hue over the beach, and I was so happy to get to experience this time with my Dad. The seagulls were busy swooping in to get some leftovers when they could. This guy was way too close for comfort! I took his picture right before he flew away!
The sunset on the deck
Lifeguards doing one last beach pass before sunset. I felt much more peaceful just getting to see this place.
The hotel is known for this particular part of it's architecture. I liked the way the sun was glowing in the tower.
The outdoor rink at night
Then we went out for a very nice Italian dinner and I showed Dad that even though I was injured, I was totally fine and that I love triathlon just as much as I did pre-November 14th.
On Friday, my Dad came back and brought his wife Angela along! We spent the day eating and shopping - does it get better than that!
THEN, on Friday night it was time. The time we triathletes look forward to every year in December. It was a special showing of the Ironman World Championship the DAY before it was actually airing on NBC. All I can say is that the San Diego Tri Club has some pretty heavy hitters to get this broadcast, commercial free, a day early. Gary, from San Diego (who I met at BSLT 70.3 in June) was kind enough to buy me a ticket and we met all his tri friends! What a fun night!
That wasn't the most amazing part though.
We actually had the chance to meet TWO of the athletes that were featured on the broadcast! Rudy Garcia-Tolson, the first above the knee double amputee to complete the Ironman (he didn't make the bike cutoff at Kona, but he did at IM Arizona in November!). We also got to meet Kyle Garlett who three years ago couldn't walk up a flight of stairs his heart was so weak due to years of cancer treatments. That didn't stop him from getting a transplant and attempting the greatest distance in triathlon. Both gentleman were a true inspiration and to see them speak in person was truly a blessing. Thanks so much to both athletes for showing us the power of the human spirit to preserve!
Rudy Garcia-<span class=<span class=
All and all, it was a great trip with many things to be thankful for this time of year (and always). There will always be hard times, things that we think don't go our way (but that actually have a greater purpose) and things that ulimately make us stronger. I'd like to think that all of these things, cool people, and experiences allow me to be a better version of myself with each passing year. Or at least I hope so!

I hope everyone has their Christmas shopping well underway (or done)! Happy Holidays to my blog friends all over the country! Thank you for sharing this journey with me!


No comments: