Friday, May 7, 2010

St. Croix in Pictures

Chrissy & I at the Practice Swim
I can see you!
The last picture was cut off, so I posted this one to get everyone in! Amanda, Mirinda, Tim O'Donnel & Erin!
The island. The swim start was on the beach
Getting "Blue" tuned up before the race
Restaurants along the water
Jump Up on Friday evening
Tunes
Mom and I at dinner that evening
A beautiful view
The race Sherpas "Donna Wana" and John, Jason's Father
Carrying the bikes!
Pre-race meeting
The night before!
Race Morning
Jason, a fellow Pittsburgher, and a fairly new kid on the tri-scene. I just met him for the first time in St. Croix and he and his Father were just so wonderful to have around. Not only great people, but Jason is an exceptionally athlete. He ended up getting third in his age-group and I have no doubt you'll see him on lots of podiums in the 25-29 this year!
Almost go time
After the race
Jason & John, Shake and Bake!
My legs were killing me, but Mom wanted this picture!
Ron was staying in the room directly across the hall from Mom and I. I helped him carry his bike up to the second floor and vice versa. Little did I know (because he was so soft-spoken and humble!) that he was a 15 time Kona qualifier. Not only that, but he's climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, Rainier, and many others! He's currently learning Spanish at the age of 72 so he can communicate with his grandson who lives in Chile. What an interesting, amazing human being! He really was wonderful to meet and this is one of the things I love MOST of all about racing. It also turned out he had an Aunt with Muscular Dystrophy, so we chatted a bit about Ryan and his specific form of MD.
On Monday, it was time to relax, soak up the sun, and have a few fruity drinks.
Monday night we ate at the Bombay Cafe and it was wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend it if you end up going to this race. It's right on the main street and the food was excellent.
We had a big group. Tom (in the red) did St. Croix 70.3 his FIRST TRIATHLON. That's right, I said first triathlon EVER. He saw one of my youtube videos a year or so ago and ended up deciding right then and there to train for this race. He put in a solid four-five months of training and got quite a few looks when he told other competitors that he would be doing this as his first. I told him not to worry, just to trust his training, nail his nutrition, and BE SAFE on the bumpy roads. He was my first nutritional client and he really did amazing. Final time - 6:17.. amazing! I was soo proud of him!
Surprisingly enough, I had JUST enough bracelets with me to give mine away, and have one for each of the guests. I had them put there hands in just to show them off! Maybe it was that way for a reason.
Tom and I after dinner!

No comments: