Thursday, June 24, 2010

On To The Next One.. Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3!

My friend Gary & I last year at BSLT! Can't wait to see you my friend!!

There is a plane flying out of Pittsburgh tomorrow at 7:40am to Lubbock, Texas (with a stop in Houston) and yours truly will be on it! You wait all this time, you train month after month, you think about it, you dream about it, you plan your life around it..

and then..

it's finally here..the big one... and you wonder "Am I ready?" Well, let me tell you, there isn't one other thing I could have done differently to get ready for this race. So, the answer is a resounding "yes" from this girl!

You do your best with the time, energy and ability you have.. then, there's nothing left to do but execute, and that my friends, is the fun part. The part where you get to see how the day unfolds, where you put your plan into action and let your heart take over in the last miles. There are things you know, like that it will be incredibly hard, and it will require all the mental strength you can muster, but that's when you know that you're doing exactly what you were meant to do on that very day. One of my favorite quotes is:

“To give anything less than your best
is to sacrifice the gift.”
– Steve Prefontaine

I can't really promise much about the day, except God-willing, I'll be there and I won't do anything less than my absolute best. For Ryan B, for my family, for my Coach & for everyone who's supported me in getting to this race by being there during my training and encouraging me, thank you.. you are my heros, and I'm so thankful for you. I'm healthy, have no issues, and provided my equipment arrives and nothing extrodinary happens, I'll be running toward the water at Buffalo Springs lake at 7:05am representing Ballou Skies one more time.

Am I nervous, a little, but mostly I just feel excited to see what happens. The outcomes will be the outcomes, and as I said last week, those will be a result of the rest of the day. I'm lucky to have another Pittsburgh friend (who was also in St. Croix) traveling down as well, so Jason and I will be eating, pre-racing, and doing the thing on Sunday. I also have a great friend, Gary, who will be there representin the 70-74. He's already got his slot to Hawaii, so this one is just for giggles.

Feel free to pray for a safe day for me, and for all the athletes. The weather in Lubbock is looking nice and toasty.. sunshine all day long! If I come off that bike hydrated, and I will, I'm looking forward to trying to put one together if that is what the big man wants.. we'll see!
Last year at Buffalo Springs

Please track me at www.ironman.com, Buffalo Springs Lake 70.3, athlete tracker - womens 30-34.

If you wonder what's going on inside my head during about mile 8 of that run, just at the point where you've used up the last of your positive mantras and your legs are screaming for you to slow down, or better yet stop... I'll just be chanting as Jay-z says below...

I’m on to the next one..

On to the next one
On to the next one
On to the next one
On to the next one
On to the next one
On to the next one

No comments: