Sunday, January 23, 2011

Welcome To The Family

New year, new goals, and even some new sponsors. It's a very wonderful thing when 1. You bust your hiney and it actually comes together in a race and 2. When you apply to every possible thing that you can and sometimes someone actually wants to help you out. As I'm sure many of you know, being an athlete is one thing, but the time, energy, and of course, cold hard cash it takes is another. I spent just about ever spare sent I have in the "non-necessary" category on triathlon!! I'm very thankful to be adding a few new faces to the team that keeps me up and running (and swimming and biking) this year!

First, and this is an exciting one, so hold on to your knickers - Show me the POWER (and trainers, and computers!)! CycleOps is an amazing company that has all the right things in place to allow cyclists everywhere to achieve their most potential possible on the bike. Plus, in their own words "We're passionate about creating more space for cyclists in our communities. More bikes mean less congestion, less pollution, and healthier, more active people." Sounds good to me. So I'm looking forward to working hard for them in 2011!Oh man, do I go through running shoes!! FINALLY, my years of harassing the Newton staff members has paid off! Well, or at the very least, they've gotten tired enough of hearing from me that they finally agreed to help a sista out. Either way, I'm super duper excited to be adding them to my repertoire for the 2011 season. Needless to say (if you've been reading my blog at all!) you already know how I feel about these shoes. I run in them, I love them, end of story!
In terms of nutrition I always get questions on what I am using in terms of nutrition for the longer distance races like half & full Ironmans. I started with Infinit back when I was on the Mark Allen team and I loved it from the moment I started using their product. Where else can you get help from their experts in finding a custom nutrition solution that works for you. I personally use the Mark Allen Fluid Energizer and it's not too sweet so I don't tend to get tired of it like I do other drinks. In my mind, if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. So, I'll be continuing to use this awesome product this year and so can you (and even receive 10% off by entering fuelyourpassion at checkout!).

I'm very thankful that training last week seemed to come together. I didn't miss any major workouts and for the most part felt really good. Even though the temperatures have been hovering between -2 and 18 degrees here most days, I'm trying to stay upbeat and not think too much about it.

The other great news is that my aunt Dena has been fighting her battle with cancer and winning (thank you so so much for your kind words and prayers! You guys just rock my world). Her white count was doubling each day last week and she remained her usual and upbeat self! Although a small setback of a fever landed her back in the hospital over the weekend, she (and we) are all praying she'll be out of there on Monday and will finally get to go back home for good!!!

Here's a picture of the lasagna I made last week for a special lady. Although I know she couldn't taste much of it, she said my uncle mentioned it was a good batch. Maybe it gave her a little nourishment or even just told her that someone loved her. Whichever is fine with me.
Last weekend was a great ride for six or so of us at Top Gear Bicycle Shop. My favorite bike shop will be hosting Saturday AM trainer rides through the winter which is good for mornings when there is just no chance of going outside (aka December through March!). What I have learned - the computrainer hurts, and I can't nearly push my watts like the guys, but it was a lot of fun anyway!
Then Sunday of last weekend, I did a long run in about 10 degrees. Yikes! It was a little tempo / lactic acid testing so that added a little extra toughness that I guess I'll bank for later this year. Yep, no messing around in PA - you have to be tough (and wine and complain a little, and then get the heck out the door!).

I had a great conversation with Mark (see arm to my right), a good friend who had us over to ride this weekend at his house, about my training and racing last year. He had some great questions and really made me think about certain aspects that lead to the race I ended up having in COZ. So, I have some great ideas for the blog this week!! My next post will be on some of the training secrets I used to get through Ironman training and some of the mental tricks I use during the race. So, look for that soon!

I hope everyone is having a great week and thank you again for the comments on the last post! Just awesome.

8 comments:

Steve said...

Sounds like you had a great week. I am glad. Keep up the Great work.

I am a BIG BIG fan of yours. :)

I have only been reading you for a little while too. In other words, I had no idea what kind of running shoes you wore or wear. :)

ADC said...

I am sooo happy everything is looing up for your Aunt. And congrats on great sponsors for this year.

D said...

Congrats on some rad sponsors! I hope you've still got the donuts too ;)

Teresa said...

You so deserve such amazing sponsors. You are a true athlete with compassion and dedication! Keep it up!

tn

Christi said...

Congratulations on the new sponsors! That rocks!

I am so happy to hear that your aunt is getting better! That is the best news I have had all day.

Heidi Austin, PT, DPT said...

wow those are some killer sponsors! congrats on that :) still going to the super bowl? hmmmmm

Chloe said...

That is excellent news about your aunt! And congrats on the sponsors - they are very lucky to have you!

Kiet said...

Awesome news about the Aunt, I really actually did pray for her on several nights! Whoa, I like the new family, I got a free pair of Newtons last year and loved them but no more freebies. Glad to see you are being rewarded for your hard work.