Monday, December 30, 2013

I Promise...

You may catch yourself doing it without even trying.  You're sitting at work, you take a sip of coffee and next thing you know you're reflecting back on the past year.  It's many hardships and also it's victories.  As one year draws to a close, you can't help but reflect on where you've spent your time.  You may ask yourself "was it fruitful?", "did it made you happy?" and "what you might chose to do differently in the future?".

Let me just start here. I hate New Year's Resolutions.  I hate them because the majority are nothing more than flippant thoughts that disappear before they barely leave our lips.  I do however like the idea of taking an earnest look at where we've been, evaluating what worked well and when we were the most at peace, and resolving to continue this process more than just once a year on December 31st.  It's the continual evaluation that I think brings us the most success and allows us to take steps toward our future goals and becoming the best possible versions of ourselves.

If you are taking part in this process, I would encourage you to instead make a "promise" to yourself that you will DO whatever it is that you think may help you achieve a goal or even just allow you enough time to read a book or go to yoga once a week.  Embrace that thing that makes you feel more balanced, brings a smile to your face and enriches your life.  Success doesn't have to look like anyone else's success but your own.

Maybe an area you know you would like to improve is eating more green leafy vegetables.  Then just promise that one thing and one thing only for now.  Don't make a list of twenty things that can only be accomplished all at once if you overhaul your entire life.  Put away the cape, let's be realists here!  Just promise that you'll finally investigate what to do with that vegetable everyone is talking about "Kale" or that you'll look up a new recipe for including collard greens and actually make it.  These are small, manageable pieces that aren't overwhelming or require a giant leap off the cliff!  Instead of focusing on what you "can't" do or "shouldn't" have, let's focus on adding things to our diet and lifestyle that will eventually become a part of our regular routine.  Hopefully, the only motivation you have to exercise isn't fitting into those skinny jeans from 2009!  Instead, I'd love to hear about how strong you feel when you finally lift weights twice a week or how PR'ing your 5K time made you feel like you could do anything so you finally sat down and talked to your boss about a raise!  Making a few small changes successfully can give you wings.  They allow you to realize just how capable and strong you really are.  No promise is too small to start, but when you complete one area, don't be afraid to go a little bigger or chose something a little scarier.

Just so you can see you're not alone, I'll make a few promises myself!

 - I promise to learn how to use more beets in my cooking / diet
 - I promise to keep striving toward that 8.5 hr magic sleep number
 - I promise to see more of my family, my aunts, uncles and cousins
 - I promise to have more lunch dates with my girlfriends to catch up on life

I won't take on all of those at once, but I will take one and see where it goes.  I also won't beat myself up if it doesn't go quite like I planned or on my time table!

While I'm at it, I also promise to surround myself with people are exude awesomeness just like I have this past year.

Let me start off the year right by announcing a partnership with Coeur Sports.  Coeur is a women's specific clothing line that was designed by hardcore athletes who are as serious about functionality as they are about looking spectacular!  I was introduced to this amazing line by my friends Beth Shutt and Hailey Manning, both females that I respect and who I know are only associated with quality people.  After getting to know the owners, Kebby and her husband, I knew I had found people who were as passionate about the sport of triathlon and the people in it as I was.


Did you know that in college some of my teammates called me "Rudy" after an article that was published in our collegiate newspaper at Penn State said my walk on career liked that of the film about Daniel "Rudy" Ruettiger.  I always loved that because Rudy was all heart.  He wore it right on his sleeve and it became so contagious that it brought his whole team to a new level.  That's what this company is about as well.  Coeur literally means "heart" and "courage" in the French language.


If you haven't seen their line yet, check it out on THEIR WEBSITE and like their facebook page for updates on special promotions and other cool happenings.  I'm so excited to be part of this group of athletes not only wearing exceptional clothes, but doing exceptional things this season.

Last, but not least, a quick shout out to those who this year would not have been possible without.  I also promise to keep thanking those who make my life fun, fulfilling and give me the strength to overcome. 


First and foremost, I'd like to thank God for this opportunity to compete, for my health and for providing the means for us to travel and do this thing that I love so much.  It's truly a gift and I know the result or the time isn't the end goal.  I also know I could never do this without the support of my husband Kyle.  He's caring, support and also provides a nice swift kick in the pants when I need it too.  Without him, none of this would be possible and I think he knows that too.  We also wouldn't have the awesome videos he produces to show our kids someday so that is a pretty neat thing that he does for me!

Thanks Kybar!!  You rock!


Thank you Coach Jesse and QT2 Systems for providing the most exceptional coaching and for being a teacher and mentor to me as a coach as well.  I've enjoyed our journey so far and I can't wait to see where the next year take us!!

Thank you to my family, specifically my Mom, Dad and Deb (Kyle's Mom).  Your support and encouragement means so much to me.  I know I haven't chosen the easiest road or the one that makes the most sense sometimes, but I still appreciate you believing in me!

Thank you to my close friends, Beth and Jocelyn who are two truly inspirational athletes who help me keep it in perspective and share the ups and downs of this crazy pro life!

Thanks to my extended blogger friend / facebook family who are rooting for me every step of the way and send some of the most touching messages that I will always cherish.

Thank you to my sponsors who this year have been nothing but supportive and have provided the tools for me to become the best athlete possible.

Thank you to ,Powerbar, , NormaTec, Top Gear Bicycle Shop, QT2 Systems, Rudy Project, and now Coeur Sports.  


It's been an exceptional year and I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store!! 

 I'll be starting off the year at Ironman Melbourne, Australia on March 23rd!!  Watch out OZ, I'm coming over!!

Let's bring in that new year shall we??!!






1 comment:

Damie said...

Best of luck in 2014! You are going to have a great year!!!