Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No Words...


Tabbithias Rex decides if she will or will not ride the Cervelo out today to do an easy 50.



There are times when you just know...

One of those times for me was this week at Marit's and Nate's house...

I knew I was coming to meet someone I'd never met before but that I had only had good experiences with via blogland and email. I knew I was going to encounter incredible drive, fortitude and determination. What I didn't know for sure, until it was proven, was that I was about to experience a heart of gold. That's a true friend. That's a blessing. That's Marit.

I don't want to get all sappy on the blog here, but I really have had such an amazing week. It wasn't just the hospitality, it wasn't just the blood sweat and tears of Palomar, masters swimming, running and hot yoga.. it was everything combined. Come to think of it, it was more the fact that I found someone so like me that I felt a connection from the very second I saw her hanging out with my bike case guarding it against all evil in the San Diego airport!! With one hug I knew that I had found someone of like mind and throughout the week it was only more evident that not only a fierce competitor, but a person of great character had been found.
I'm all done with the spiel...but I have to say that it's rare when you get to meet someone of such caliber and I'm telling you, I feel fortunate to say that I did.

She hauled my ass to Masters swimming again at 6:00am (he he.. sorry Marit, I know I wanted to go!)


The Carlsbad Pool pre-sun up

and I had a great swim of 3000 again which reminded me once again, I do remember how to swim and just because I haven't been doing it, doesn't mean I hate it (which I did feel toward swimming at one point early in my triathlon career!).

The Carlsbad Pool at 7:15am, yep, we're already done!
By spending some extra time with me after practice, I think Marit might have taught me how to flip turn correctly as opposed to some other weird practices I was developing over time!! Elbows in, push water up and out with hands extended at the end of the turn by your ears while pushing off the wall. We'll see if I can practice this at home and keep it going... I hope so.

Afterward it was a run on the beach (where by the way, we say Michelle Jones ride by covered in pink and black while I hit Marit and yelled "it's Michelle Jones, did you see that!!" - FYI, if you don't know who this is, you are not a real triathlete..kidding) and within ten minutes we had to get ready for hot yoga, which was a weird yet oddly cleansing experience to say the least! I sweated more than I have ever sweated in my entire life. My legs were making pools on the towel and every time I hit a downward dog sweat would drip off my temples. Luckily, I found the only person in the world who sweats as much as I do and she was a triathlete right next to me so I didn't feel so alone. I think scantily clad yogi's must be really in tune with their bodies or.. well.. just not give a ^%$@ because there were people wearing less than I wear to bed most evenings at home, by myself. It's all good though people, it's San Diego.. this is not only allowed, it's totally acceptable.
The scene of the crime.. hot freakin kick your butt but you'll feel way better yoga


I'm smiling because this is the sweatiest I have ever been in my life


After yoga it was a trip to the Witch Creek Winery to taste some of the best wine I have had in ages and get more than a little tipsy. The red was rich and the dessert wine was extremely sweet but infinitely enjoyable. We had a blast. We made quite the purchase when it was all said and done and I can say mine was slightly due to the intoxication, but I am pretty sure I'm going to thank myself later for this one when I'm sitting at home slipping on a great glass remembering my trip.

Yes, we made a small purchase, but we had no choice, it was exquisite wine.. at least it tasted like it by the 8th wine tasting glass.

We even convinced Jen (who works there) to take a picture in front of the barrels! Cheers!

Finally, it was off to dinner at a great Italian restaurant where we had more (surprise) great wine - hey - it's California - and a wonderful meal to top off the day.

I don't think I could have designed it better myself and mostly, I'm just so thankful that I had a chance to meet Marit and Nate, and have them be a part of my life from now on. I have a very good feeling we will be friends for the duration and I don't deserve these kind of people in my life, but somehow they just keep coming out of the woodwork anyway.
Nate, Marit and I at dinner, a great night of food, friends and fellowship


Tomorrow, it's my last day of fun before the work begins and I guess it's time to suck it up and realize you can't stay in triathlete Heaven forever. Regardless, I wouldn't have changed one thing and in fact, I'd do it all over again if I had the chance. Maybe someday, I'll be lucky enough to do so!!

No comments: