Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Ironwoman

Ella & Eve, my good friend Krista's cuties pre-Ironman Hawaii with a Good Luck Message

Has it really been since October since I raced! How is that possible! Do I remember how!? I hope so, since Saturday I will be running my first running race (half marathon) of the season. It's called "Just a Short Run" located in North Park/Wexford area of Pittsburgh. No big taper for this girl, just pretty much training strait through it.

With the Pittsburgh Marathon back on for the first time in years, runners are amped up in Pitt. I have seen some pretty dang fast times this spring and I am impressed with the level of talent that continues to show up so Saturday should be no exception.

What I'm really looking forward to is "the push". What is the push you ask? Well, for me its the battle between mind and body. Certain people are born with more of this ability than others. However, make no mistake, the push is a learned skill. We practice it on a daily basis in training, but we never really get to reap the fruits of our labor until the race begins. It's a controlled push, a smart push, but a push none the less. It's knowing that during the last three miles of a thirteen mile race you will be all but spent and then will have to drop the hammer to squeek out every last little bit. It hurts, but I look forward to it immensely. The running push is something I have been practicing for a long time, I can't wait to see what it brings on Saturday (which I have honestly NO idea about what pace or time I will run, just that I will run hard, end of story).


I'll never forget all the support I received right before the Ironman. People came out of nowhere to send letters, pins, emails, books, leave voicemails. It was just awesome. It really did bring me to a level where I wouldn't have been without those things. Knowing I had everyones' support was so uplifting and a driving force when times got tough.

I'm thankful that I have such people in my life, who love me for who I am, not what I do or what I accomplish, but regardless. It's such a blessing. I know they will be there today and tomorrow, no matter what it brings. I'm a lucky girl.

Happy push everyone!

No comments: