Thursday, July 16, 2009

This is Your Foot... (if you don't like seeing blood this post is not for you)

This is your foot with electrical tape on it because you don't have any band-aids.


This is your foot with the electrical tape coming off in the first 5 minutes of your run and thirty minutes later what's left of your heel after a new pair of Asics.


Tuesday night was what I would term "The Running Debacle." I had biked in the morning and hit the park after dropping off my bike at the shop to get a new cassette. I had my running clothes in the car and I headed strait to North Park afterward. At 6:00pm I got dressed in my car, as usual (shhh...don't tell, I just park in a secluded section!). Car = locker room sometimes right! I couldn't find my socks ANYWHERE. As hard as I looked from the morning session, they were no where to be found. Either way, I was running.



Then I thought "o wait, remember how my new Asics had given me that little blister from rubbing my heel during Sunday's long run - I better tape that up or something." The only first aid materials to be found were electrical tape. Therefore, that was the decision.

Within minutes I knew it was going to be an issue. For some reason the way those shoes were hitting just pushed that stuff right up and over the shoe. I tried to fix it, but to no avail. It just wasn't going to work. I threw it in the trash. It was such a nice night though and I had 50 minutes on the schedule! I really, really, really, wanted to run.

Looking down I could see the little bugger was starting to get bad (red blood starting to flow freely). Not only that, I could feel it with every stride rubbing my now raw heel like sandpaper.


By the time my friend Jerry was spotted running the other way I latched on with him and never looked back. My 50 minute run became a hobble back to the car and grit your teeth in pain. After 30 minutes I whipped those shoes off and walked back barefoot.

I love Asics, but this pair is really starting to bug me. For now, I'm back in the Newtons and trying to figure out what to do next because they are wayyyy too old with too many miles!



I hope I figure out what to do soon because I don't want to take any time off running! I guess we'll see. Wish me luck!

No comments: