Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What One Armed Girls Do In Their Spare Time

I've been thinking about this post for awhile considering almost everything in my life has been impacted by my current one arm in a sling status. For the most part, my stitches are dissolving inside my body, my life is adjusting around this little setback, and it doesn't hurt too much except when I really do something dumb (like use it to open a car door or pick up a laundry basket). It really is only temporary, and it's really not like my leg is in a full cast or something! Either way, let's be honest, I still get annoyed, but all in all, it's really not too bad.

The doctor let me know last week that he would see me the first week or so in January so please pray for fast healing!! I'm hoping for good news on that visit!


So, what have I been up to? Well, let's see?



1. Learning to do my hair with my left hand (that cannot hold a round brush and actually make a curl without almost pulling out all my hair!)



2. Figuring out what I'm going to do next season (which largely depends on the healing of this collarbone. I had big ideas prior, but everything could be subject to change if I don't heal quickly).



3. Getting ready to go out to San Diego for work next week.



4. Chatting with Marit about our plans to take San Diego by storm! Can't wait to see you!!



5. Learning how to use the elliptical and recumbent bike and getting my sling really, really sweaty while watching friends I haven't seen since the accident walk up with an appalled look on their face! It's almost humorous now!



6. Working, Working, Working.. back at it in full force but excited that Christmas is right around the corner.



7. Procrastinating on all of my shopping, which is not good at all considering when I get back from S.D. it's going to basically BE Christmas.



8. Updating my website, making changes to the blog and forming a business plan for a few outside things that I'd like to start working on. More to come!



9. Picking up presents for "STUFF A BUS" which is a week long program that one of the local radio stations puts on from bus parked to collect items for Toys for Tots! This is a great time of year to help out those who may not have things as easy, and Toys for Tots is just one example of a small things that even those of us that feeling broke can still do. Check out this cute guy I found at the store. How fun is this! I love butterflies and if I would have had one of these to crawl after I know I would have enjoyed it so I hope someone else has fun with it!

10. Living with Lissa for a bit who passed her bar exam! YIPPEEE! Go Lissa, JD! She also just got a job here in Pittsburgh so she's apartment hunting and helping out this girl who can't even reach things on the top shelf sometimes! How nice it worked out for both of us!



11. Allowing Lis to kiss Sydney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins) because it was her 28th Birthday and he was sorta asking for it anyway.

12. Decorating for the Holiday by pulling out all the lights, hanging lighted garlands above the door and thinking about baking Christmas cookies (not doing it yet, just thinking about it!)

13. Catching up with friends I haven't talked to in awhile and trying to get over not being capable of talking on the phone while in the car (which I know, isn't safe, but it's where I do most of my calling). So, if you haven't heard from me yet - you're on the list, just give it time!

14. Being thankful. Even though I didn't have the best season by any stretch of the imagination, I tried to stay positive. By experiencing setbacks and challenges I've never faced before I will certainly have more experiences to share with others that might help them someday. You can't really know what it's like until you've been in someone's shoes who can't do everything, whether its due to injury, sickness etc. It's not fun sometimes, and I'm so anxious to get better, but I'm learning things even through this situation and as Matthew Wilder would say:

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Ain't nothing gonna break my stride
I'm running in a one touch ground, oh no
I got to keep on moving




No comments: