Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Motivation

Motivation is the activation or energization of goal-oriented behavior.

As many of those around me might be quick to inform you, motivation is not usually an issue for me. I enjoy routine, and the friendships that I've developed are often sewn together by the common thread of fitness, exercise, the outdoors and improving oneself by testing the boundaries. On a gorgeous summer day, there isn't much I'd rather be doing but heading out on my bike and noticing the little nuances about the fields, barns, houses, roads, birds or whatever else we might pass by while rolling on two wheels.

For the past three months, motivation hasn't been this issue, it's been getting this arm up to speed! I was crushed when I learned in early January that I couldn't swim. However, I quickly turned it around and decided to not worry about being on a particular "schedule" (I know, how un-triathletelike of me!). I decided rather than getting down about it, that I would just try to do drills in the pool once a week, and then bike and run in the same proportions I usually would during half ironman prep/base building. It was a nice adaptation from putting in the sometimes longer training weeks of three sports. It really allowed me to concentrate on two and become stronger, more confident, and focus on seeing improvement in those areas.

This past weekend was a big weekend for me.. I realized I'm probably in better shape that I have ever been biking/running-wise at this time of the year than in the past (which would of course make sense!). Surprisingly, my swim times on Friday and Monday weren't that far off of what I was doing back in September/October, but my endurance is severely lacking. I was huffing and puffing after a 400 like someone had just ripped out one of my lungs!

The familiar tiredness of training in all three sports is coming back swiftly, and I'm thankful that I have great friends and training partners to chat with, enjoy their company and just keep me in check! The trainer session was at my house this weekend, and we did have a blast. It was a small group, Heidi, Jeremy, Jocelyn and myself. It was a great group though and we put down a solid 3 hr 45 min ride before transitioning to the t-run.

Just in case you need a little motivation.. I've included a few quotes that I love! Enjoy!

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke
The best way out is always through.
Robert Frost
We are still masters of our fate.
We are still captains of our souls.
Winston Churchill
Yellow must have been the color of the day! I didn't get the memo girls!
Got to represent! Team Ballou Skies in action baby!

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
Leon J. Suenes
The making of the breakfast! Jeremy / Vanna White, demonstrating how incredibly easy it is to eat Ballou Skies Natural Peanut Butter! Thanks Jeremy!
Try not to become a man of success but a man of value.
Albert Einstein
Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like challenging myself. I like seeing what I'm made of on a weekly basis. I like teaching myself and my mind that we can do things we never dreamed possible. Where that will lead to this year, heaven only knows. For now, I'm enjoying the time with friends and getting to know them on a whole new level. I couldn't be more thankful to be about 90% back with the collarbone and I plan on savoring each moment of 2010! Much is on the horizon my friends.. much is on the horizon!

No comments: