Friday, February 19, 2010

WHAT a WEEK!!?!!


What a week! Between work and all of my outside training and fun activities I need a three day weekend. Well, that's not going to happen, so I'll just make the most of it. Wednesday night started the fun with the first official Ballou Skies Team meeting. I was so excited to meet the other team members (but we forgot to get a group photo - next time!). Obviously, we are all very different ages and come from all walks of life, but it is amazing to come together for such a wonderful cause.
Jeremy and Jocelyn are two of my closer friends on the team and I am so thankful to be a part of something so special!
Ty introduced some new ideas about how we can raise a few funds. We discussed all types of different fund raisers and outreaches to raise awareness about Duchenne MD. I think the bracelets are a great idea and can be purchased for so little, but it adds up quickly! Hey, if Lance can do it - we can do it right! Just on word of mouth, Ty raised around $17,000 last year. This year.. drum roll please... we are shooting for $50,000. It's a big jump, but think of what that money could do for the Ohio Heart Clinic and boys like Ryan who require medical care but often can't afford the tests they need.
The New Faces of Ballou Skies Peanut Butter - Jeremy & Ryan! You can now order the peanut butter online! The shipping is a bit pricey, I realize that, but it is for a great cause and 100% of the proceeds of the peanut butter itself go to helping kids like Ryan withDuchenne Muscular Dystrophy. It will be available in Giant Eagle in the middle of March. So, if you live in Pittsburgh, please watch for that in the stores!
At some point in the dinner Ty, Ryan's Father, started telling the story of how Ryan was diagnosed when he was five, and how every few months since then they've traveled to the Ohio Heart clinic to basically map his heart and see how the disease has progressed. I watched him well up with tears over how the doctors have helped Ryan stay so healthy (comparatively to other boys his age). He said the technology is kind of like flying comically vs. flying a lear jet. If you do have this disease and can only go commercial, you're not going to get the treatment you really need. However, flying a lear is quite a bit more $, but totally worth it when they come home knowing Ryan is good to go until his next check up. It's hard to see differences in medical care for some verses others, but that's just the way the world works. Raising these funds can help change that for a few kids who don't have the ability to "fly the lear" because of their family situation.

In other news! I went to see Dr. Bradley on Thursday and I was trying not to get my hopes up, but I couldn't help it. I wanted to hear so badly that I would be able to swim!!

When the resident came in I knew there might be trouble as he pressed on my collarbone and asked me, "Did it hurt here?" ummmm.. YES! "How about here?" Right again! I almost thought about lying, but I knew that wouldn't be getting the best medical care I could if I did something like that. He didn't seem promising about doing any swimming. I asked him to send in the Doc please.. we would have a chat!
So we looked at the damage together.. and then it happened, HE SAID I COULD SWIM!! I was so ecstatic. I'm pretty sure I was smiling from ear to ear!! I couldn't help it.. I stammered..
"would it be inappropriate if I hugged you right now?"
Luckily, he said it would not! So we did.. and I was a happy girl. He said I might get sore and to please work up the yardage slowly. That I can do my friend, that I can do! So it was back to the pool this morning and it looked like this!!
Ahhh.. the YMCA Masters! I missed you guys!!
I get knocked down.....
But I get up again!! Cause you're never going to keep me down!! - (In the words of Chumbawamba)

New Splish.. Dork Pose.. and a very happy girl!! This was a grab bag suit no less! How cool is that!
In true Kim form, I made my masters swimmers take a quick pick after I swam.. duh, duh duuuuuhhhhhh.. 200o yards! Yippee!! No pain.. so that was exciting. I'm not fast, but I'm happy and that's all that counts!
!
Oh.. and lastly.. I'm going to start a new part of the blog that is - Things I love.. and these little 100 calories packs are really, really smart! That way you know exactly how many almonds are a serving. PLUS cocoa roasted and the antioxidants of dark chocolate.. it's a great snack for those mid-afternoon cravings! Try em (oh and I'm not getting any kind of endorsement here.. nothing free.. or anything.. I just like them)!

Have a fantasticial weekend everyone!

No comments: