Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow, Snow... Oh That Wasn't Enough..BAM..MORE Snow!


When I
accidentally stepped into the grocery store on Thursday night, I knew I was in for trouble. The place was swarming with people and I just couldn't figure out what the big deal was?! It had to be Super Bowl right? This was Thursday, the Super Bowl wasn't until SUNDAY!

Then in line I heard another couple talking to the checkout guy "Oh yeah, time to stock up, you know the blizzard of 2010 is coming, I've heard 8-10 inches."
Ahhhh...it all made sense. I had hit the pre-blizzard rush. "How bad could it really be," I thought. I had the bagels for the spinning party in hand, and I was ready to face whatever was coming weather-wise (or at least I thought I was)!

On Friday it started at noon, and didn't stop until the next day mid-morning! It continued through the night and at 6:30 the calls were coming in that everyone would be canceling. There were some members of our little cycling group without electricity for the entire weekend! Not good! I went back to sleep for a few hours on Saturday morning, and finally made my way out of bed to do all three hours solo. It wasn't easy, but I jammed out and got it in! Then it was time to survey the damage... and try to figure out what to do next.
My neighbor chuckled as he looked at me staring down the mess and attempting to try and find my steps under all that snow. As I told him I "didn't have a plan" for 23 inches of the white stuff, he suggested I try to find someone with a plow truck immediately because it would take me 2 days to shovel myself out.
1 hr 45 minutes... Thank you very much. I wasn't trying to set a record or anything, but I wanted it to be over as soon as possible! Yep.. That's why I stay in shape. You just never know where it could come in handy! My back is killing me though!
I still wanted to get my long run in if I could on Sunday morning. However, many of the roads were not even close to cleared, and it was just too dicey to run on the highway. I headed over to my tried and true running spot to see if it would be possible. Low and behold, there were at least ten of us out and the faces all looked familiar. I supposed we're the die-hards..but with the Pittsburgh Marathon coming back these last two years, people have to get those long runs done!
I've taken pictures around North Park at all times of the year. However, Summer and Fall were my favorites. Winter, although pretty, not so much!
The snow piled along the road from the plow trucks was often 4-5 feet high. I've never seen anything like it!
It was like running on sand, except much colder.. and um.. my eyelashes froze.
Please note: - Barely any skin showing, - I tried to smile, but I was just too dang cold (I was thankful my run was decent and I got it in!!!), - New Jaggad Jacket in my favorite colors - Blue/White!
You know it's cold when your gel freezes after about a 37 minute loop!

I hope you all had a great weekend with a little LESS of the white stuff! I love you Spring - please come soon, I miss you!!!

No comments: