Thursday, September 16, 2010

Go ME, It's Your Birthday!!

Ok.. so it was a few days ago actually (September 14th!), but it is still my Birthday WEEK as far as I am concerned and you just have to keep the celebration going right?!

I had a really great day on Tuesday and I have to say, Facebook has it's ups and downs, but all in all, it's pretty cool to have about a 100 of your friends say Happy Birthday via Facebook! There were so many shout outs from there. It was really sweet and made me feel AWESOME! Thanks everyone!

I ended up traveling home to take care of some things and switch cars with Kyle so mine could go get a little tune up. Now I will be driving a Toyota Tacoma for the next week or so.. little girl, big truck! Getting into it with a pencil skirt on this AM - not working out so great!

I have to say, I'm still floating on cloud nine about the race on Sunday. It just feels so good to have all that training "translate" to racing (as Amanda Lavoto taught me to say).

I thought about a few more highlights from the day and some little things I thought went well or helped me, and some things that I would like to work on.

So far, I think my list is:

1. I need to swim at least 4 times per week, maybe more. I really want to start seeing my pool swimming "translate" to racing and I think this is part of the key! I have to swim with masters consistently and often. I also need to get another video analysis for my coach and I to analyze.

2. I need a new wetsuit. Mine is about 5 years old, and I do think that would help. It won't "MAKE" me a better swimmer, but it could help a little! I think it's time!

3. I would love to get a power meter for my bike, but until then, I want to increase my power to improve my speed on the bike. I've been doing a lot more strength workouts this year than I have ever done and I think it might we working.

4. Massage does wonders. I got one on Thursday night and I felt so great during the race. My neck and back especially. I can honestly say if I could afford one per week, I would definitely do it (who wouldn't), but until then, I will hope to get at least two per month.

5. I do need to work on some running biomechanics from my pictures. I can tell there are a few things that a bit off. I mean, I'm still really happy with my run, but there is always room for improvement and I'm trusting Coach Justin to help me get there!

As a little tip, some things I thought about during the run just for those who are also always learning and sharing!

My little lines to myself -

  • Forward lean! Make sure you think about it and do it slightly. So many people are running entirely too upright!

  • Fast Feet! Your cadence should be about the same as biking - 90 one foot strikes per minute (or 15 per 10 seconds).

  • Alternating water & sports drink (this works well for me, but you certainly have to try this on your own) at each aid station

  • Finally, cue up "YOUR GO TO TUNE" this REALLY helped me on Sunday. It really depends on what mood I'm in to what I cue up, but it must have a faster beat that I am used to running with for me to be able to continue the "fast feet" movement. I sing it in my mind and it helps me to take the focus away from the pain and turn it to something that makes me smile and reminds me how much I love what I am doing at THAT moment. Sometimes in training I try to imagine myself running this or that song and feeling a certain way (always positive & good mental images) and then I try to replicate it during the race!

    I think it helps!
Here was my song for Sunday! Hope you all are having a spectacular week. It's off to a business meeting at Mortons Steakhouse for me tonight!

OH and I wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who wrote such nice things to me about Sunday. What a group! You guys make me feel so good and I hope I can only do a little something for you all to say thanks in the same way someday!! YOU ROCK!


No comments: