Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Heart Food.. but don't we all?

As a pre-face to this food blog - I would like to wish Heidi and all the other athletes at Ironman Florida (Mary, Chloe etc. etc.) a HUGE good luck and I'll be praying for a safe day for all of you!! Have fun!! You can do it!

The infamous cool, sassy, hilarious, IM Coz sista Kim K. tagged me last week in this I heart food kind of blog post questionnaire. It just dawned on me that I don't even know if I spelled questionnaire right.. which all I can say is - thank God for spell check. I'm not sure he created it himself, but he created someone else who was smart enough to make it from there.

Anyway, you would think that people who get into nutrition are all about cooking, baking and preparing great food. Well, some definitely are. Others, like me, just like to EAT food and really enjoy learning about the science behind it. The thing I didn't realize was how much I would enjoy helping others figure out what to eat and most importantly for athletes - WHEN to eat it. I feel so incredibly motivated when clients start loosing weight and feeling better! It's just awesome.

Ok.. back to the food.. here we go.

1. If you could eat anything without any health repercussions or guilt, what would your meal be?

Filet, covered with a Bearnaise sauce and crab meet..and of course a huge side of pasta and maybe even a sweet potato with brown sugar, butter and a wonderful dessert (oh.. and a salad before the meal with apples, walnuts, cranberries and a vinaigrette - I think it's called a walnut apple fall salad - delicious!).

Specific enough for you!! YUM... getting hungry just thinking about it. This is hard to pick just one thing though..

2. If you could meet anyone living or dead who would it be and why?

Well, I know this is very cliché in some peoples minds.. but I would really like to meet Jesus.. ask him a bunch a questions I've always wanted to know about the world/human nature/meaning and try to have my pea sized brain understand the beginning of all of this....

Of course.. also out there is Jay-z, Chris Martin, good old Chrissy W. and so many others.. just to try to understand their creative genius and the meaning behind some of the songs I love.. plus Chrissy because she is just the most tenacious athlete I have ever seen with an extreme heart for others.

3. Why did you start blogging and what did you expect when you started?

Ha.. Oh man.. I always thought blogging was for nerds! Ha! Kidding.. I never really thought about it at all!! I guess I started reading Beth's blog and realized that she had been doing it for like 6 years already - I mean, before it was even popular! I realized how many friends she made through it and how much easier it was for family and friends who were out of town to keep track of what she was up to and stay in touch. I didn't expect anyone to actually read my blog.. that is for sure.. well, maybe my Mom or something. I still can't believe anyone actual reads it - but I'm thankful and I love the connection among tri bloggers - you guys are so encouraging and just "get" me and that is really amazing.. the support is a huge factor in why I do this.. and meeting other great people!!

4. What is the one book you could read over and over again?

Eat, Pray, Love.. some people hated it, I loved it. At a time when my life was crumbling around me and everything seemed to be going wrong.. it really lifted my spirits and made me laugh and realize I was not alone. We all go through the same things..

I'm loving "Running on Faith" which I'm reading right now - just an awesome book.. it will change your life!


5. If you could travel anywhere, where would it be?

Australia or New Zealand.. both look so beautiful and peaceful. I would love to hike through them, ride my bike through the little towns.. stop and eat at places and get to know the people. Seems amazing..


6. If you could have a TV show on the Food Network, what would it be?

Oh.. hands down.. Anthony Bourdain.. I started LOVING this show about three years ago and I still enjoy seeing the places, the food and his sense of humor is so smart and riveting. I find him extremely sarcastic but also so introspective. He's quite the cigarette smoking, non-healthy guy.. but boy is he cool.

7. What was the best meal you ever had?

Kona Brewing Company Pizza with two huge Hefferveisens.. the torches, the stickiness of the evening air and the fact that I had just done my first Ironman combined with family and friends surrounding me made it the best meal ever!

8. Who has been the greatest influence on your love for food and learning to cook?

Shoot.. Other dietitians probably.. and the travel channel. It certainly wasn't my Mother - love ya Mom.. but we ate out much of my childhood life!

Ok.. how did I do?? Cover everything??!!

An AWESOME update from my Aunt Dena - So excited for her! She's getting better and hopefully this stem cell thing will be one of the last steps for her (one more BIG huge chemo and then they will put her own stem cells back in to help her fight!) on her road to remission.

Just received call from Dr. Rossetti & Stem Cell Team; the white count is up to 3,740 today!! Yay! We are heading for West Penn tomorrow morning to run the CD34 test to determine how many stem cells are available & if there are enough I will go on the machine to begin collecting them. If not enough are present they will give me a shot of Mozobil & we will retest Thurs. morning and most likely begin collecting then! Great News!! I can’t wait to get them “on ice”. Not sure how many days it will take, but we’re there until we get enough. (Could be 3-5 days.) Thank you God! ;D

I’m feeling well and ready for this next step as it brings us one step closer to the LAST ONE!! As always, I appreciate all your thoughts & prayers.

Much love,

Dena



No comments: