Monday, August 27, 2012

I've been ready for this my whole life...


"Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to go to school here.  And ever since I was a kid, everyone said it couldn't be done.  My whole life people have been telling me what I could and couldn't do.  I've always listened to them, believed what they said.  I don't want to do that anymore."  Rudy Ruettiger

I love that movie.  Anyone else out there a fan?  I had a bit of a Rudy like college experience.  After walking on as a sophomore I worked my tail off and finally made the traveling team.  It took a year, but it finally happened.  They even wrote an article about it in "The Collegian" my senior year.  I felt so privileged to get a chance to step on that course every day and feel the dewy grass as the sun rose over the horizon.  We were a band of misfits when we started, but when we finished our four years we were sisters, friends, and so much more than teammates.  We were banded together.

What I love about the movie and the real life of Rudy Ruttiger is that it didn't seem to matter how many time Rudy was knocked down, told he would never do anything, never run out of that tunnel at Notre Dame, he kept moving forward with a relentless hope and a true belief that he could overcome any odds against him and someday, somehow, it would happen.  He was a true optimist and finally, with all that heart, those around him couldn't hold him down and even grew to love his drive.  When he finally realizes that he has nothing to prove, he finally gets the chance to live his dream.  His story inspired many and that kind of thing just never gets old!

It's been a bit of an up and down couple of weeks but all in all, the ups have always outweighed the downs.  I've seen my fitness coming back on my rides and the numbers are finally looking decent.  I've run up and down hills and the month of August has been so pretty!  I've been enjoying my time which is one of the most important things!

When it comes right down to it, that is the question we all must ask ourselves if we are enjoying what we are doing right now.  Does it make us feel more like ourselves?  Does it help others?  Are we giving it our all?  If we are doing those things, good things are bound to follow!

In other news - here's my life in pictures from the last few weeks!

 Lissa (my sister in law) got engaged!  She's more like a real sister to me so that was a very special day!  Congrats to her and her fiance Steve! 
 Kyle and I had some good friends help us learn how to take our garden tomatoes and make homemade salsa!  So excited about this and we'll be eating fresh salsa all winter long!! So worth it!!  Mandy was there to help too and she helped me to show it off.  Last year she wrote a school paper about an interesting career and it turned out to be about me!  It was entitled "Professional Triathlete!"  I loved it!! It's still on our fridge today!  Thanks Mandy!!
 Sunflowers!  Tall and beautiful!!  Saw these on my run and had to stop to take a quick pic!
Post workout lounging at the river and our veggies!  
Swimming here this summer has been one of my favorite things!  Kyle kayaks with me and it's just beautiful at the right time of day! Love it!

Keep your head up... one day at a time my friends.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I love Rudy!!! That is a great movie with a great message.