Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I've Rediscovered the Radio

Hawaii 2006Periods of tranquility are seldom prolific of creative achievement. Mankind has to be stirred up. Alfred Northwhitehead

TV is sooo overrated. It could be because we only have basic cable, but honestly, I just don't watch that much TV. I would say on average, I watch four hours per week (that's right, 7 days, four hours... you do the math). I do think if we had the Discovery channel it would make a difference, but the fact of the matter is, I just don't want to spend that much time sitting here watching it, so in a way I'm glad we don't.

These next few months are going to be pivotal for me in many ways. My husband may get made about this, but I'm just going to hope for the best in people and most of your don't know where I live anyway so it won't matter - I'm living alone for the next four months during the week at our house. Most people who read this blog are friends so I don't really consider it a safety hazard. Then again, I understand his reasoning for me not to say anything to most people and I won't (I'll just put it on the web where a bunch of strangers can read it and start to stalk me!! Awesome!!).




So, I'm sure the next question for those of you who don't already know is logically, "why would you do such a thing, you're married!!!" Trust me, this isn't my ideal situation or anything. The fact of the matter is, this is the way the big man planned it, and I don't ask too many questions. Kyle and I have wanted to move home (to our hometown where we are both from originally) forever. About a month ago, the opportunity for him to work for a great company there arose. The interview process happened very quickly and just like that, he had the job. This is where the question of what I was going to do surfaced. Obviously, I had to ask my boss if he felt like I could work at home, and like a gift from God (just as I had always hoped), he was willing to give it a trial period. I had to decide when this trial period would start, and well, that was more difficult.





My true family is at home, but my training family is here. The masters swimming group, people I run and ride with, and the nicest gym facility ever is available to me 15 mins away, all here. We had a very tough decision to make, and luckily (Kyle being the understanding husband that he is), said whatever I needed, and wanted, to do was fine with him.

Thus, the pivot begins. It feels like going back to college after living with someone for two and half years. I remember those days, only seeing each other on weekends. I used to cry when we would have to leave each other on Sunday nights. These days things are little different, and although I will miss him, I feel secure in knowing we are together, in each others hearts, and it's only a matter of days until we will be together again.

In the mean time, I get to remember what it was like to spend time alone, gathering myself, doing some things he doesn't like, or thinks are weird (like sitting here with bunches of candles lit, writing a blog, and listening to the radio!). I think this will be one of the harder times in my life with all of the Iron training, but hopefully I can also search within myself and learn some things about the girl who used to do many things alone on a daily basis. I haven't seen her in awhile, and I know she still exists, she just hasn't had to rely on herself and take care of everything all solo for awhile. I guess I'm not taking on this journey they call Ironman myself, it's more that I'll have time to focus and train during the week which will be good, and on the weekends I'll be able to get back in touch with the person that matters most. We'll miss each other, but absence makes the heart grow stronger right!

In other news, my workouts are going well, although they are getting long enough I am going to have to start splitting them (which I hate since it means doubles every day). They are just getting to long to do everything before work (unless I want to start at 4am). It's kind of a bummer, but maybe I will find I like it in the end and get more out of both (today I rode for 1.5 hours and then ran for 1:20 right after). I had an amazing run, like I used to feel in college, even despite my extreme lifting soreness from squats on Monday!!

Let me raise my glass of red to being a little more independent, doing some soul searching, and listening to the radio (which totally rocks.. Summer of 69!!.. seriously, this thing is good, you should listen to it!!).

No comments: