Thursday, July 3, 2008

Seriously, We're Not Supposed to Be Building the Ark Here! Are We?

Rain, Rain, go away. This is getting ridiculous. I think it might have rained like five days out of the last seven, and I hate complaining about the weather, but it is causing more than just overcast days (more on this later)!

If I could, I would wear a permanent rain coat and go out to train in it everyday. I don't really mind that much on the run (which I did this morning for 50 mins in monsoon like conditions!). The bike is the issue. I'm sure some of you out there can empathize, as it is pelting you in the face while you are doing about 20 miles per hour, you can see, you can't feel your toes (even though it is 60 degrees outside) and you basically, can't function. It's the wind on the bike that kills me when I'm wet.

This weekend will be my first century ride, ever. My longest ride to date is about 75 miles and the weather conditions have been rather perfect for most of my long rides (I will switch days when necessary to avoid riding in pelting rain). There's cute rain, then, there's the kind of rain we have been having lately, and that my friends is not cute at all. Lately, it's been the steady kind, the "I'm going to soak you to the bone" kind, the really wet kind (wait, never mind, they are all wet). You get my drift.

Fourth of July weekend and guess what is in the forecast for all three days of this three day weekend.. you guessed it. Rain. On top of all the fun training in the rain (I think someone up there thinks it's April and we need May flowers, not July), it may be causing problems with our septic system and I have poop in the basement. That's right... I keep a very clean house, I work really hard at it.. and there's dang toilet paper and something else that may or may not be actual poop (or might just be old crusty poop-look alike, not sure, I've never been in this situation before) bubbling up from our drain. Have you ever seen the move Money Pit with Tom Hanks, well, our house might just be turning into that rather quickly. I am what they like to call "not a happy camper," without my husband to help me deal with it. During my showers I've been catching the water in the tub and too afraid to let it drain, during my bathroom visits I now have to go by a saying that I was hoping never to use again in my life "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down." You HAVE GOT to be kidding me. This is my life right now, yellow vs. brown. Needless to say, I do a lot of my "business" on purpose at work. Sorry to have to share all of that with you, but it's a fact of life & ELF was right, training for Ironman will likely increase the number of, well, movements per day due to the sheer amount of food you are eating!

Hopefully, some professional person can come in and tell us what is going on. Please don't tell this person, but at this point, I would be willing to pay a thousand dollars just to fix it. I hope I don't have to, but I need to have my house and my basement back in working order since I am going husband-less these days.

Wait a minute, I think this was one of the reasons I got a husband in the first place, to fix things like this!!! Men, can't live with em, can't live without em.

So, this is my life. Poopy basements and rain. In other news, training is going very well and I am off to do my last pool workout before a full day off tomorrow from training. Our goal is to work on the house and clean up the mess (of which I am pretty sure I will be putting Kyle in charge).


Rain, Poopy basement or no poopy basement, I'm riding a hundred miles on Saturday! Wish me luck!

No comments: