Monday, November 17, 2008

It's Here!

When I woke up this morning, there was snow on the ground. Talk about a rude awakening to the fact that we are now officially "IN" to winter. I don't care what the calendar says.. you know.. how it picks those days for the start of winter or spring or whatever.. We are in it to win it baby and I am one sad girl scout.

I know.. I know.. I need to be positive. Winter will bring lots of things like snow angels, ice skating around the lake (which I can do if I can just figure out how to triple axel.. I mean um..skate in general), and a white Christmas (which I actually do love!!). However, it will also bring long pants dragging in this nasty junk that has been in the parking lot festering for days waiting to ruin my clothes, scraping off windows before 6am swimming and being so frozen on the bike you don't un-thaw for hours. Ahh.. old man winter. He sure is a bad dude sometimes.

How quickly I forget winter during the dead of summer when I am throwing on my shorts and heading out for a long ride or run! It's amazing how that happens! Just like childbirth and Ironman, give it some time... and in the warmth of the sun, winter is quickly forgotten!

In other news, I looked at some trainers this weekend. I'm debating.. seriously, on if my current trainer will A. make it through the winter and B. if I can live with having the most basic of basic trainers with absolutely no feedback of any kind on any of my rides. It's been suitable so far, but I may want to take it to the next level.

I looked at the FLOW model of Tacx trainers at my bike shop and gave it some good thought.


Ideally, I would love a computrainer, but know that 1400-1600 dollars really isn't in my budget to spend on something like that. I definitely would like to measure cadence, speed, distance and power output at a minimum. I would love to be able to ride different courses while watching real course videos, but I think that really can't be done for (at least) less than one thousand buckaroos, and there are other things I would rather get if I am staring into the price range (aka wheels, gear, new bike :). Therefore, I might just spring for the Tacx and see how that goes.

If anyone has any other thoughts or things they use that they like PLEASE let me know and let me know price range as well. I have a bad feeling this winter is going to be brutal and I might be on there quite a bit. It's time to figure out how to use my time wisely!!
Also if you see some lady running around Knox yelling about burning her trainer to the ground in mid-Feb.. that would be me, hand me a plane ticket and tell me to get out of dodge so I can ride my bike in the warmth and remember what it is like not to have to wear 30+ layers to go outside or sweat my bagettes off inside on that metal touture devise. Watch out Ms. Chrislock-Lauterbach, I just might show up on your door with Kona coffee and M&M's as a house warming/please come let me stay with you and train gift!!

No comments: