Friday, March 5, 2010

Changing Child Nutrition One Step At A Time..

This week was an exciting one in the world of Child Nutrition. The School Nutrition Association met in Washington, DC for their annual Legislative Action Conference and I was in attendance. This required that in a twenty minute turn around at my house, I would need to shower, pack up my last minute items and head to the airport about one hour after finishing the Spring Thaw race. Not the ideal situation, but work called and that is what was required! My legs were so sore by the time I hit the airport I was almost limping. However, I was excited that the conference would bring an opportunity to see the above First Lady speak on Monday about her new capaign to fight childhood obesity called "Let's Move!"
Monday required us standing in line for a very long time to go through metal detectors and the like. All I can say, is the secret service guys are HOT... so, that's just the facts. I tried to take their picture, but they actually said "Miss, we would rather you not." Since I wasn't in the mood to get tackled that day, I decided against it!
Michelle looked as "Jackie O" as ever in a pink off-the-shoulder dress with a beautiful sparkling pin. She spoke with conviction and determination to make a difference in the lives of these kids! It was pretty moving!
It was wonderful to have her behind the association and representing the best interest of our nation's youth.
Then, the next highlight, riding this little, ummm.. tram between the capital buildings! We had many senators to see with our agenda in hand. It's the grass roots way of being the "voice" of the people in the district. We met with the Western PA people, including Senator Bob Casey.
That evening, it was time for an ellagent banquet and some great dessert. Yes, this was a nutrition conference where they served dessert made out of white chocolate. I smeared mine right before I took this, great job Kim.
Linda and Meredith are two other great people at the conference and we had a blast. All in all, it was a good week where I attempted to train, but didn't completely succeed and lost quite a bit of sleep!! It was still fun!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

No comments: